What are periods like for you? Awesome? Awful? A breeze? Maddening? Inconsistent? Non-existent in this season? Whatever your current relationship with your body and period, whatever your age, whatever season you’re in when it comes to your menstrual cycle, this conversation is for you.
Did you know you can work WITH your menstrual cycle, understand more about your hormones, and live in harmony with your body rather than pushing against it? And all with simple tracking techniques and one helpful mindset shift.
Claire Baker is here to share with us about what those do-able changes look like and how they can positively influence our relationship with our bodies and daily schedules. Her work has helped me get more in touch with my own menstrual cycle and energy levels and taught me how to have more grace with myself and be more productive by simply being aware of where I am in my cycle.
Claire shares so much in her new book 50 Things You Need to Know About Periods: Know Your Flow and Live in Sync with Your Cycle that just launched yesterday here in North America!
The Book: You guys. It’s good. It is sooooooo good. It’s visually appealing, packed with information, easy to understand…there’s lists and charts and bullet points and graphs and fun illustrations…you’ll fly through it because it’s just so interesting! And on top of that, it’s inspiring. The whole thing is a call to action—for us to track our cycles, sync our lives, understand our bodies more, and reframe the next generations’ thinking about menstruation. Honestly. I’m excited to pass this book on to my three daughters and have it available to them as a loving, supportive resource.
Claire views periods in terms of seasons (Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter). And I have to tell you, thinking of it this way, there is so much freedom to be found in not trying to be the summer girl all the time. Claire wants us to adore our cycle, know ourselves better, and find monthly (and daily!) peace with natural hormone changes.
Claire’s Bio: Claire Baker is a teacher…and a sought-after period coach, author and speaker. For nearly a decade Claire has taught thousands of women how to live in harmony with their menstrual cycle, rather than working against it. Claire believes menstrual cycle awareness is the missing key in women’s well-being, empowerment and creativity, and her immersive online courses and workshops inspire women to know their flow and become the authority in their own lives. Claire’s online program Adore Your Cycle has students in over 35 countries.
With a background in visual arts and creative business, Claire is a certified health and life coach, has studied Menstruality Leadership and is trained as a natural fertility teacher. Known for her authentic voice and ability to ‘make periods fun’, Claire is regularly featured in publications such as Red, Glamour, and Women’s Health magazine. Originally from Australia, Claire now lives in sunny East London and spends her days coaching, teaching, writing, dancing and being as close to trees as she possibly can. After this conversation you’ll want to take Claire’s free cycle masterclass or say hello to her on Instagram.
In this episode Claire & I talk about:
- Being on the birth control
- How Claire got started with menstrual cycle work
- Missing periods
- Living with hormonal flow
- Learning how to chart our monthly
- Understanding our health and our bodies
- How you can come to this work at any age and gain information and insight from it
- International perspectives and attitudes about periods (Claire is from Australia but lives in the UK)
- Feminine cyclical approach to life rather than the linear one we live in
- Positive and negative
- The “shame” element
- Openness among moms (out of necessity!)
- Menstrual cups
- How charting comes up around when we are trying to become pregnant
- How tracking your cycle can help with health goals
- Cycles + the thyroid health connection
- Getting rid of the “gross” factor
- How much calm you can gain from tracking your cycle
- The wisdom gained from tracking (on all levels)
- Reframing how we think about our periods to take a “seasonal” approach
- Spring season: post period phase
- Summer season: ovulation
- Fall season: what we think of is the sort of “pms” phase
- Winter season: menstruation
- Celebrating our periods instead of being ashamed of them or grossed out by them
- How we’ve been conditioned to try to be “the summer girl” all the time
- The different vulnerabilities and strengths that come up in each season of our cycle
- How to track your cycle
- How I used Claire’s Instagram to help me start tracking my cycle
- Claire’s course offerings
Love the podcast? Please let me & your mama friends know! Leave a review on iTunes to let me what’s serving you best. And share, share, share the show on social media, with friends & family, by word of mouth—whatever way you want to bring in your sisters to the conversation as we elevate modern motherhood together!
Be sure to SUBSCRIBE so you never miss an episode!
Primally Pure: Thanks for Primally Pure for supporting today’s episode. Primally Pure, is one of my favorite companies. They excel at creating safe, natural skin care products made with quality ingredients. Primally Pure has become my go-to brand for clean, non-toxic face cleaners, creams, and serums. They’re also the makers of my favorite all-natural (& effective!) deodorant. (I love their blue tansy one). They’ve generously offered a discount code for listeners: be sure to use the code: LORIBETH10 for 10% OFF your first order. For my personal review of their products, head over to www.elevatingmotherhood.com/primallypure
Beautiful & Simple: Today’s episode is sponsored by Beautiful & Simple. An online boutique I’ve created and filled with products that remind us to slow down, practice self-care, & focus on the meaningful parts of our day: the beautiful & simple moments My favorite mug is the one that says “you cannot pour from an empty cup.” It’s my daily reminder to take care of myself so I can take care of my family. Go check out the collection of mugs, shirts & bags currently available at www.beautifulandsimple.com
Love the Show? Leave a review on iTunes!
Connect with Lori Beth on Instagram: @loribethauldridge and @elevatingmotherhood
Visit Today’s Sponsors: Primally Pure + Beautiful and Simple
More About Your Host: Lori Beth’s Blog