It took me a long time to read Nicole Unice’s new book The Miracle Moment: How Tough Conversations Can Actually Transform Your Most Important Relationships. Not because it was hard to read or uninteresting, but the opposite! I felt like I was holding an insider’s manual to therapy and self awareness right in my hands and wanted to take in every word! This is another one of those read that changed me. It got me thinking about what it looks like and what actions, words, and ideas it takes to build healthier relationships, have stronger & clearer communication with loved ones, as well as thoughts on how to get closer to my true self and heal some pretty important parts.
The best part? I had some questions for Nicole about the book and what she meant and she answers with such grace and clarity. What a gem! Her theories and tools apply to all areas of life: motherhood, parenting, marriage, extended family, work and business relationships, neighbors, friends—all of it! This book has something for everyone. If you have an area of your life that has you feeling like you could probably use a few more communication tools…this book, this conversation is for you!
Nicole’s Bio: Nicole Unice is a counselor and leadership coach who facilitates environments of safety and vulnerability so that leaders and teams can courageously identify obstacles keeping them from their maximum potential. As a sought-after speaker, Nicole has a down-to-earth style that allows even the largest gathering to feel conversational. Nicole is the author of several books focused on spiritual transformation and is a featured speaker through RightNow Media and Punchline. She holds degrees from the College of William and Mary and from Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary. Nicole and her husband, Dave, live in Richmond, Virginia, with their three children and two pups. Visit her online at nicoleunice.com.
In this episode Nicole & I talk about:
- A holistic approach to life
- How Nicole’s path led her to the book
- Sense of belonging
- Belonging as a constant theme in our lives
- Belonging as spiritual work
- Slow unfolding and making time for slow
- Nicole’s book The Miracle Moment
- Her book as a resource
- Counseling and therapy tools for everyday conversations and relationships
- Being in alignment with ourselves
- Expressing yourself in a way that’s humble and clear
- Backing up words with actions
- Having more tools in your communication toolbox
- Healthy boundaries
- Normalizing ups and downs in life
- We’re capable of change and growth
- What are the characteristics of the person you want to be?
- What is “The Miracle Moment”
- What happens when we get upset
- Staying present after our initial reaction
- Miracles happen in the disruption
- Miracles as planned experiences
- Our life’s work to become more free, healthy, and whole
- Small is big
- Curiosity over condemnation
- Getting curious about our responses
- Reckoning our value judgements about where we are
- Doing the work of self-knowledge
- Bible study series that goes with The Miracle Moment
- Verbal and non-verbal communication
- Being your own life scientist
- Societal messaging that are getting in the way of our miracle moments
- Self-awareness is the pre-requisite for miracle moments
- Worst Case Scenario Game
- Deeper fears in a younger place in our souls
- Using worst case fears as invitations for growth
- Doing the work
- Unpacking what Nicole meant when saying “the common good” in her book
- Mutual Flourishing
- The third living energy that is a relationship
- Sleepover example
- Negotiation tactics
- The “Feararchy” hierarchy
- Fear of rejection
- Fear of violation
- Fear of loss of control
- Fear of failure
- Fear of extinction
- I’m not as right as I think I am
- I’m not as wrong as I think I am
- The path to the middle? Curiosity
Join Lori Beth on Patreon! Elevating Motherhood is coming to life over on Patreon! I’m super stoked to let you know I’ll be over there more than any other platform connecting with you and other incredible mamas. It’s such a great space where we can have deep dive discussions about today’s topic and every other topic discussed here on the show. I’ll also be hosting virtual classes once a month for moms. April & May’s classes are both live and waiting for you to join! April’s Class is Elevating Your Everyday Cooking with trained chef and holistic health coach Kris Dovbniak. May’s class is Decoding Your Birthday with intuitive numerologist Nadia Bernardy. Go check out the details at www.patreon.com/elevatingmotherhood I’m super stoked to be an ad-free, off social media, no distraction space to connect with other moms! It’s already been so refreshing and life giving to be able to connect deeper with you all. I’m excited for you to join us!
Follow us on Instagram! Like, comment, and share that you’re listening to the podcast!
Be sure to SUBSCRIBE so you never miss an episode!
Like the show? Leave me a review! Your feedback lets me know what you like, want, and need in your #momlife. I’m here to serve you, open up conversations, tackle topics, and encourage connection. Reviews help me do that! Thank you so much!
Blossom & Root: Today’s episode of Elevating Motherhood is sponsored by Blossom & Root a nature-based, Charlotte Mason inspired homeschool curriculum company that has been gently guiding and supporting families for years! This thoughtful, age appropriate curriculum begins at the preschool level with options all the way up to 4th grade with more grade levels being released each year.
Blossom & Root is the homeschool curriculum my family uses and loves! The information and ideas are easy to follow, fun, and engaging. If you’re new to homeschool or looking for an inspired homeschool curriculum to help you lovingly teach and guide your children, I highly recommend Blossom & Root. Using this curriculum has brought so much connection and joy to our homeschool days—I love it! Blossom & Root has generously offered a discount for listeners of Elevating Motherhood: use the code LORIBETH10 at checkout for 10% OFF your order.
Join Lori Beth on Patreon! Elevating Motherhood is coming to life over on Patreon! I’m super stoked to let you know I’ll be over there more than any other platform connecting with you and other incredible mamas. It’s such a great space where we can have deep dive discussions about today’s topic and every other topic discussed here on the show. I’ll also be hosting virtual classes once a month for moms. April and May’s classes are already up (and evergreen!) May’s class is Decoding Your Birthday with Numerologist Nadia Bernardy. She gives us all the info we need to do our own numerology charts—and really anyone we know’s charts (I plan to do each of my kids). She also sheds light on what each numerology number (1-11) means. Go check out the details at www.patreon.com/elevatingmotherhood I’m super stoked to be an ad-free, off social media, no distraction space to connect with other moms! It’s already been so refreshing and life giving to be able to connect deeper with you all. I’m excited for you to join us!