Talking about mediocre motherhood is—believe it or not—probably one of my favorite things. I don’t align with a lot of the modern motherhood messaging that we’re fed and I know that our mama hearts desire more than mediocrity. I like talking about it so we can name it…and I name it so we can change it. Abbie Halberstadt is fighting mediocrity head on in her new book M is for Mama. She is here to remind us that hard is not the same thing as bad, she delivers so many other truths and encouragments. Hold on to your hats, mamas…today’s episode is on fire.
Abbie’s Bio: Abbie Halberstadt is a homeschooling mama to 10, former high school Spanish teacher, married to renaissance man with whom she’s built two DIY houses, fitness instructor, business owner, blogger, bestselling motherhood author.
In this episode:
- How a mom of 10 “does it all”
- Homeschooling 10 kids
- Hiring help when you’re a mom
- What the schedule of a mom of 10 looks like
- Not getting attached to “what is working”
- Abbie’s book M is for Mama
- Biblical motherhood vs. Mediocre motherhood
- We are mediocre without Christ
- How biblical views affect non-believers
- Letting go of frustration, resentment, and victimhood in motherhood
- Finding more joy in motherhood
- Toxic messages of modern motherhood
- Mommy wine culture
- Stopping fist bumps over mediocrity & being the worst mom
- “Relatability is not the gold standard of motherhood”
- Looking for examples in the bible about how to be a better mother
- Avoiding the current motherhood narrative
- The lies of secular culture
- The hypocrisy of breaking generational cycles while creating new ones
- Taking radical self responsibility
- The problem with Christian moms who are upholding secular standards
- Believing James 1:2-5 “Count it all joy…”
- Studying motherhood
- The importance of opening your bible
- Start reading your bible today
- Having an open mind with an open bible right beside it
- Finding a Titus 2 mentor that is not on the internet
- Being accountable with others
- Find someone who is living out the example you want to emulate
- The importance of having a good church that affirms scripture
- Feelings are not consistent and often lie
- Abbie uses 187 unique scriptures in her book
- Getting obsessive about results
- Having an “if the Lord wills” attitude
- The Holy Spirit is whispering do better in our ears, it doesn’t matter who else isn’t getting the same memo
- It’s easier to wallow than it is to change
- Ideas for the witching hour
- Being consistent in mothering
- Teach more than preach
- Enjoying our children
- Accepting the Lord’s conviction to do better in Him
- Being stingy with our kids
- The desire to have our needs to have our desires be met before others
- Listen to the nudges in our spirit
- Slow down, sit down, and be with your children
- The truth behind the phrase “I don’t have time for this”
- Be open to nudges of truth
- The lie of convenience
- Admitting that I have an entitlement problem
- Avoiding the pitfall of motherhood martyrdom
- Voice of the martyrs: https://www.persecution.com
- The importance of self awareness
- Who we are in relation to self-care culture
Abbie’s Links: Website, Store, Instagram, and Facebook
Follow us on Instagram, @loribethauldridge and @elevatingmotherhood! Like, comment, and share that you’re listening to the podcast!
Be sure to SUBSCRIBE so you never miss an episode!
Like the show? Leave me a review! Your feedback lets me know what you like, want, and need in your #momlife. I’m here to serve you, open up conversations, tackle topics, and encourage connection. Reviews help me do that! Thank you so much!
Blossom & Root. Today’s episode of Elevating Motherhood is sponsored by Blossom & Root a nature-based, Charlotte Mason inspired homeschool curriculum company that has been gently guiding and supporting families for years! This thoughtful, age appropriate curriculum begins at the preschool level with options all the way up to 5th grade with more grade levels being released each year. Kristina Garner—the creator of Blossom & Root—also has beautiful unit studies she calls Book Seeds available on her site which are deep dives into beautiful, nature-based books. It’s one of my favorite things about her curriculum along with her incredible book lists for each grade. You can find out more about Kristina’s heart behind Blossom & Root in Episode 16.
Blossom & Root is one of the homeschool curriculums my family uses and loves! The information and ideas are easy to follow, fun, and engaging. If you’re new to homeschool or are simply looking for an inspiring homeschool curriculum to help you lovingly teach and guide your children, I highly recommend Blossom & Root. Using this curriculum has brought so much connection and joy to my family’s homeschool days—I love it, my kids love, and I think you’ll love it, too! Blossom & Root has generously offered a discount for listeners of Elevating Motherhood: use the code LORIBETH10 at checkout for 10% OFF your order.
For more information about Blossom & Root, head over to www.elevatingmotherhood.com/homeschool
Homeschool Explained: Today’s episode is sponsored by Homeschool Explained, an online course I created to help parents find their confidence as they begin their homeschool journey. This course is designed to save you time; no more maddening online searches for how to start homeschooling—this is me holding your hand and walking you through homeschool 101 in just under 3 hours. That’s it. 3 hours of video tutorial + a downloadable PDF.
I used to teach in-person workshops when I lived on Maui to help families gather all the information and resources they needed, answer all their questions, alleviate concerns, and help them get organized as they started homeschooling. Homeschool Explained is the online version of those workshops. I totally get it, starting any new journey can be really overwhelming…especially when it comes to re-thinking how your kids are going to get an education—and that you’re going to be the teacher. But don’t worry. There is so much support and freedom in homeschooling. It’s do-able. It’s fun. And it takes way less time than most people think. I put over 15 years of homeschool experience and insights into this easy to follow, easy to use online course that answers common questions, helps you work through worries, and saves you time. No more internet search overload. This is all the info you need to get started homeschooling today from a trusted, experienced source.
I show you what modern homeschool days actually look like—all while covering major topics like curriculum, homeschool styles, subjects to teach, cost, state laws, socialization and so much more. This course takes the guess work out of where and how to begin and leaves you with solid support and resources from day one. I would be honored to help you to start your homeschool journey with confidence! Find out more at www.homeschoolexplained.com
Love the Show? Leave a review on iTunes!
Connect with Lori Beth on Instagram: @loribethauldridge and @elevatingmotherhood
Visit Today’s Sponsors: Blossom & Root + Homeschool Explained
More About Your Host: Lori Beth’s Blog