Education is the science of relations. Charlotte Mason
What is Charlotte Mason? What does that mean? Is that a school? An education philosophy? And actual person? I keep hearing “Charlotte Mason” or “Charlotte Mason inspired”—what does that mean?
These are common questions for parents who are new to homeschooling and I’ve brought the brilliant Leah Boden onto the show to get you those answers!
Leah Boden is married to Dave, they have four children and live in England. Leah is a long-time student and practitioner of the Charlotte Mason method of education and is passionate about helping parents find their freedom within the philosophy. Leah writes, speaks and podcasts from a foundation of faith whilst using the Charlotte Mason philosophy as a springboard into her lessons on childhood, motherhood and education. Leah delights in coaching and leading others in this refreshing way of life.
Leah is a Pastor at Mosaic Church – Coventry, speaker and writer for the international Wild + Free homeschooling community and creator of Modern Miss Mason.
In this episode, Leah & I talk about:
The Short List:
- Gratitude, integrity, discernment, peace, gentleness, inspiration, revelation, perspective, and joy.
The Long List:
- All things Charlotte Mason: who Charlotte was, her education philosophies, some history
- Charlotte Mason in a nutshell
- Motherhood, Childhood, & Education
- Our homeschool journeys
- Some interesting education differences between US & UK education framework
- What Charlotte Mason meant when she said “education is the science of relations”
- The importance of connection
- How Charlotte Mason is truly a rich education
- How Charlotte Mason reframes education
- The “shaping & shipping” message we are fed as moms
- The importance of honoring the individuals in a family
- Habits and rhythm
- Educating parents on how to draw out a child’s character
- Long term vision in parenting in education
- Differences in Charlotte Mason and brick & mortar schools
- How Charlotte Mason is used in brick & mortar schools
- The shocking history of how her work was almost lost!
- How Leah became known as “The Modern Miss Mason”
- How she is equipping and coaching parents around the world with her course: Charlotte Mason Unboxed (she adds to it every year without any additional cost!)
- Discount Code for the Charlotte Mason Unboxed: LORIBETH20
- The importance of keeping a mother intellectually alive
- How education is more than a chore
- Some insight into the energy behind Episode 035
- Integrity on social media
- Homeschool coaching/modern homeschool support
- Homeschooling on a budget
- Not using a curriculum
- + Leah’s amazing resources…see her links below!
Interesting mentions from the show:
- Ambleside Online
- Margaret A. Coombs book: Charlotte Mason Hidden Heritage
- The National Curriculum (UK version of common core, if you will)
- The Charlotte Mason Companion
- Katherine Levison (how to manuals)
- Charlotte Mason’s 6 Volumes
Be sure to SUBSCRIBE so you never miss an episode!
Like the show? Leave me a review! Your feedback lets me know what you like, want, and need in your #momlife. I’m here to serve you, open up conversations, tackle topics, and encourage connection. Reviews help me do that! Thank you so much!
Homeschool Explained: Need help getting started with homeschool? Feeling unsure as you start your home education journey? I can help! Enroll in my online homeschool course to get started feeling confident & resourced: www.homeschoolexplained.com
Morning Basket: Pam Barnhill was our guest in Episode 054. She brought us so many ideas about how to bring peace to our homeschool…I rely on her for planning and organization tips as well as morning basket plans for my own homeschool. I downloaded and printed her Plan Your Year 2020 guide this month and I have to say, it was refreshing to have homeschool specific organization in front of me as I was beginning the new grade level plans. Pam’s teacher mind is clearly at work in her Plan Your Year module (to our benefit!)
I encourage you to tap into Pam as a resource. I use and appreciate her Your Morning Basket Annual subscription. It’s probably my favorite of all her offerings. This month’s morning basket theme has our whole family excited for a month long deep dive we can enjoy together. It’s like a slow unfolding that happens a bit each day…that “laying the feast” you hear many homeschoolers talk about, only Pam puts it together for us and we get to just show up and enjoy. For more information about Pam’s offerings, go to www.elevatingmotherhood.com/pam
Love the Show? Leave a review on iTunes!
Connect with Lori Beth on Instagram
Connect with Lori Beth on Facebook
Visit Today’s Sponsors: Homeschool Explained + Morning Basket
More About Your Host: Lori Beth’s Blog