Have you ever heard of gameschooling? Strewing? Relaxed homeschooling? If so, you’ll know how magical these elements of home education can be. If not, you’re in for a treat! Jessica Waldock is here with us today to offer us tips and insight on all the things.
Whether the homeschooling an only caught your eye or it was the interest led learning or the word gameschooling, this episode is for you! It’s not just for parents of only children…you’ll see that very quickly.
Jessica is an incredible resource! Her website www.thewaldockway.com is fun, informative, and interesting. Her approach to home education is inspired. But she doesn’t just stop at creating an incredible education for her daughter, but then takes the time to put it all together for us
Jessica’s Bio: Jessica Waldock is a writer, photographer, and homeschool mom of one living in sunny Florida. She founded The Waldock Way as a way to give back to the homeschool community that she loves so much. At The Waldock Way Jessica shares tips, tricks, inspiration, and unique resources that help ignite a love of learning in children that will last a lifetime. She inspires families to engage in homeschooling as a lifestyle where relationships come first and interested led learning prevails. Jessica also has a fabulous collection of unit studies on her website and shares generously on her YouTube channel.
In this episode, Jessica and I talk about:
- When we homeschool and start new grades and why September 1st
- Curriculum Jessica offers (such cool stuff!)
- Relaxed homeschool—what that means and how we can get there
- (and how long it honestly takes to get more relaxed in our homeschools)
- Interest led learning
- How her daughter’s interest led her to create curricula
- The art of strewing
- Our goals of relationship over academics and connection over curriculum
- Long term relationship goals
- Homeschooling an only child…differences, similarities, tips, stigmas, etc.
- Socialization (yes, again…hahaha)
- Common concerns of others when it comes to only children…
- Only child parent perspective
- Tips for parents homeschooling an only
- Honoring the individual and each person’s needs in a family (no matter the size!)
- Podcasts for kids
- Car schooling, Game schooling, Bath schooling, Night schooling…unique ways to get school done
- Poor sportsmanship during gameschooling
- Creating her own homeschool curriculum
- And all the amazing resources Jessica generously puts together for us!
Interest Mentions from this episode:
- Games: Outfoxed, Dragonwood, Quirkel, Hand & Foot, Phase 10, Euchre, Canasta, Five Crowns (for kids and adults), and Set
- Life of Fred Math
- Facebook group: Morning Baskets and More
- Kid Podcast: Brains On, What If World, But Why?, Big Life Kids
- Jessica’s Podcasts for Learning
Be sure to SUBSCRIBE so you never miss an episode!
Like the show? Leave me a review! Your feedback lets me know what you like, want, and need in your #momlife. I’m here to serve you, open up conversations, tackle topics, and encourage connection. Reviews help me do that! Thank you so much!
Homeschool Explained: August 31, 2020 is the last day for the summer sale of Homeschool Explained, my online course that helps you feel resourced and confident as you start your homeschool journey. Use the code LORIBETH50 for 50% OFF your enrollment! That’s my thank you to you for being a listener of Elevating Motherhood!
Beautiful & Simple: My other favorite passion project is my online boutique Beautiful & Simple. I’ve filled it with products that remind us to slow down, practice self care, and focus on the meaningful parts of our day…the beautiful and simple ones. My favorite mug is the one that says “you cannot pour from an empty cup.” It’s my daily reminder to take care of myself so I can take care of my family. Go check out the collection of mugs, shirts & bags currently available at www.beautifulandsimple.com
Love the Show? Leave a review on iTunes!
Connect with Lori Beth on Instagram: @loribethauldridge and @elevatingmotherhood
Visit Today’s Sponsors: Homeschool Explained + Beautiful and Simple
More About Your Host: Lori Beth’s Blog