Knowing when to recharge and knowing that’s okay, to me, that’s part of the balance.
Today’s episode is a treat. It’s a cheerful conversation between work from home moms trying to juggle life, love, kids, chaos, business, and ecommerce as life-long learning, entrepreneurial moms.
Sarah has a beautiful online shop called What Little Wonder…it’s sweet, it’s charming, and (to me) the best part is: it’s gender neutral. As a girl mom with three daughters, I was over the “pink is for girls” nonsense before my first was even born. Sarah has curated a stunning shop that speaks to my mama heart (and style preferences!) If you’re in the market for holiday gifts, I highly recommend you check out What Little Wonder as an awesome way to shop small, support a small business, and cheer on this mom boss.
Sarah’s Bio: Sarah McNamee started What Little Wonder as a single mom after seeing a hole in the market for more items that weren’t so “baby.” It’s been three years since it’s launch and Sarah is now a mom of 5 (her youngest is 3 months old!) Each and every item in What Little Wonder is something Sarah would choose for her own children (which works out for us because she has such great taste!)
(Valid 11/7/2020 to 11/9/2020 only): We also teamed up for a generous giveaway over on Instagram, so if you are catching this episode today or tomorrow, head over and enter!
In this episode, Sarah & I talk about:
- How she started her adorable shop
- Gender neutral baby items (& how it’s so hard to find them!)
- Shopping small
- Supporting small businesses
- Supporting mom businesses
- Banning pink as a girl mom
- The weird messaging and images on mainstream baby clothes
- The history of gender colors…blue was for girls and pink was for boys (and why!)
- The famous FDR photo of him wearing a dress
- The influence of marketing
- The influence of ultrasounds on gender specific coloring
- How small shops are changing the color stereotypes
- Bringing beauty and peace into your home (with lovely, neutral baby items!)
- Loving supportive language around our babies and children
- Curating a shop
- Life-long learning as a business owner
- Behind the scenes of owning a shop
- The pragmatics of being a work from home mom/business owner
- Dealing with #momguilt as a working mom
- Growing our businesses while growing a family
- Getting creative with work hours
- Being present with our kids
- Leveraging strengths and building on weaknesses
- Teaching ourselves the skills we need to grow our businesses
- Learning as we go!
- Starting before you’re ready
- Learning just to learn
- A full circle moment for Sarah!
- Being part of a community of moms
- Balance and motherhood
- Working with kids around
- Learning when to rest and recharge
- Balance and mom guilt together
- Asking for help when we need it
- Leaning into community and those who understand
- Give yourself grace when learning (& we are always learning)
- Seeking peace with flexibility instead of balance
- Encouragement for moms who want to start a business
- We all have something to offer the world
- Don’t let doubt run your decision making process
- “It really is possible” – do it!
- Making time for what’s important to you as a mom
- Be true to who you are—putting out what is authentically you
Sarah’s Links: Website and
My favorite What Little Wonder Products Right Now:
- So Very Loved Onesie
- Oatmeal Organic Cotton Ribbed Knotted Gown
- Mauve Cable Knit Knee Socks Pre-order
- Darling You’re Magic Wall Sign
- Over the Rainbow Wall Art Print
- Harvest Floral Muslin Swaddle Pre-order
Follow us on Instagram, @loribethauldridge and @elevatingmotherhood. Like, comment, and share that you’re listening to the podcast!
Be sure to SUBSCRIBE so you never miss an episode!
Love the podcast? Please let me & your mama friends know! Leave a review on iTunes to let me what’s serving you best. And share, share, share the show on social media, with friends & family, by word of mouth—whatever way you want to bring in your sisters to the conversation as we elevate modern motherhood together!
Branch Basics: Thanks to Branch Basics for supporting today’s episode of Elevating Motherhood! I’ll be honest, I’m not a big fan of cleaning house. Too many products to choose from on the shelves, too many scents and toxins and stuff I just don’t want in my house Branch Basics is an educational company that offers non-toxic, simple to use cleaning solutions for your home—using one powerful, plant & mineral based cleaning concentrate. You can literally use their one concentrate to clean everything…from bathrooms & windows to floors & laundry. Simply dilute their safe, effective cleaner into their refillable bottles. The instructions are right on the label. Branch Basics has been an amazing addition to our home. I’m always looking for ways to reduce my family’s toxic burden & Branch Basics fits the bill. Plus their goals align with mine…to make cleaning sustainable, affordable, and simple…all without the use of gmos or animal testing. Head over to elevatingmotherhood.com/branchbasics for more information.
Pam Barnhill’s Morning Basket Plus: Today’s episode is also supported by Pam Barnhill’s Morning Basket Plus membership. If you are a homeschool mom looking for fun, engaging support materials to bring truth, goodness, and beauty to your homeschool days, Pam Barnhill’s monthly morning basket membership is where it’s at! The membership includes an online support community, monthly morning basket lessons that are absolutely jam-packed with poetry, formal & informal lessons, art and music and video resources, and so much more. I use the monthly themes to naturally incorporate fun and curiosity into our homeschool lessons. Find out more at www.elevatingmotherhood.com/pam
Love the Show? Leave a review on iTunes!
Connect with Lori Beth on Instagram: @loribethauldridge and @elevatingmotherhood
Visit Today’s Sponsors: Branch Basics + Pam Barnhill’s Morning Basket Plus
More About Your Host: Lori Beth’s Blog