Our bodies are AMAZING! And not just because they can grow and sustain babies but because of how they work. This conversation with Greta Wyeth will leave you feeling very appreciative of all your body can do. One of Greta’s many missions is to help women educate themselves about their bodies so they can clearly communicate and get the help they need. She goes about this in a really interesting way. I didn’t feel like I was being lectured to about what my body can do, but instead I felt awakened to mind-blowing ways my body works and communicates. I WANT to know more about my body and muscles and movement and fascia—not out of obligation, but out of pure curiosity & empowerment!
Fascia is a buzz word right now, and for great reasons! Greta shares with us through what it does, what it looks like, and shares recent discoveries about its role in the body. But first she walks us through self-education, our physical body, muscle function, re-educating our pelvic floor, movement (like Pilates) and helps us understand more about ourselves so by the time we cover fascia, it just “clicks.”
Greta’s Bio: Greta Wyeth is a Nationally Certified and STOTT Certified Pilates Teacher who is rooted in science and dedicated to the inter-relatedness of form and function in the human body. She believes that knowledge of your own body along with how and why it moves can inform and inspire healthy movement patterns. Greta teaches her clients how to find effective movement patterns and the muscle activation that promotes strength, balance, and alignment. Having worked with NFL and MSL athletes and being a lead referral by Sutter Health and Kaiser Permanente OB/GYNs, Greta helps clients become their own best advocates. Greta is the Founder of Still Point Movement, an education specialist, course creator and mom of 2.
In this episode, Greta & I talk about:
- Greta’s injuries during motherhood that led her to Pilates and her current path
- The sheer strength of mothers
- External feedback loop: The importance of the community acknowledging the strength of women/mothers
- What is Pilates?
- Pilates and how it’s beneficial for moms/women in particular
- Any kind of movement is healing and supportive of the body
- Why people find success in Pilates
- Why people come to Pilates
- Fast twitch muscles & slow twitch muscles
- Stability & control
- Mitochondria and fascia
- Re-educating the pelvic floor
- How the brain accesses our muscles
- Learning the terms to help you communicate clearly with your medical providers
- Having a reciprocal relationship with trusted providers
- Examples of how we can communicate with our providers
- The pelvic floor
- Greta’s shoebox example for understanding our bodies and pelvic floor help
- Being kind to ourselves and our bodies
- Where do you see yourself (your body) in 20 years?
- How different countries view pelvic floor rehab
- Health advocates in hospitals
- The need for change in the American model of postpartum health
- The complex, large machine that is American health care
- Knowledge and access is controlled
- Women educating themselves
- You can read and educate yourself on all health topics—it is doable
- Fascia: what is it, what does it do, how does it serve us
- Fascia made up of collagen fibers with nerve endings
- Force and how it’s transmitted through the body
- Taking a holistic approach to our body
- How our body responds to pregnancy
- Insulated and non-insulated nerves
- Fascia relates to cell health
- Fascia’s role in how force moves within the body
- Fascia grabbing of acupuncture needles
- Fascia’s relation to everything in the body…pre-pregnancy, during pregnancy, and postpartum
- Incorporating movement to work on fascia health
- Rolling as a way to hydrate fascia
- Creating happy movement in your body that makes you feel supported and strong
- Greta’s pelvic floor course
- Greta’s upcoming fascia workshop
- Greta’s contribution to the Elevating Motherhood Curiosity Collective on Patreon!
Follow us on Instagram! Like, comment, and share that you’re listening to the podcast!
Be sure to SUBSCRIBE so you never miss an episode!
Like the show? Leave me a review! Your feedback lets me know what you like, want, and need in your #momlife. I’m here to serve you, open up conversations, tackle topics, and encourage connection. Reviews help me do that! Thank you so much!
Join Lori Beth on Patreon! Elevating Motherhood is coming to life over on Patreon! I’m super stoked to let you know I’ll be over there more than any other platform connecting with you and other incredible mamas. It’s such a great space where we can have deep dive discussions about today’s topic and every other topic discussed here on the show.
I’ll also be hosting virtual classes once a month for moms. April and May’s classes are already up and evergreen—they are available for you to watch anytime! Join me for June’s Creative Writing Workshop that just went LIVE yesterday, June 25th. where we’ll talk about the writing process, creative outlets & habits, and even how we can document special moments for and tell stories to our kids. Sign up this month and be entered in the drawing!
Go check out the details at www.patreon.com/elevatingmotherhood I’m super stoked to be an ad-free, off social media, no distraction space to connect with you and other moms! It’s already been so refreshing and life giving to be able to connect deeper with you all. I’m excited for you to join us!