How do I want to feel today?
Are priorities and boundaries easy for you? Can you take a week off of work or a break from life and feel rested at the end of it? Are there moments in your life (like all of 2020 and now 2021) that have you feeling like you need to recover from an event or busy season?
Gillian Behnke is here to share 6 ideas with us that can help us on our road to (much needed!) rest and recovery. All 6 ideas begin with the letter R…but by the time we ended our chat, we’d come up with 14 Rs altogether. It’s a fun conversation that will encourage you to put yourself as a priority so you have the capacity to care for others.
Gillian’s Bio: As a busy mom of two, Gillian cares deeply about helping other moms feel better both mentally and physically. She believes that motherhood does not equal with exhaustion, and that it is possible to thrive mentally, emotionally, physically and professionally. Gillian is the founder of Mom Camp, a media and events company that empowers moms to live their best lives. She is also the host of the Mom Camp: Around the Campfire podcast.
In this episode, Gillian & I talk about:
- Mom Camp
- Identifying what our priorities are instead of a “to do” list
- Burn out as a mom
- Spending our time and energy on things that matter
- Honoring every pregnancy as it comes instead of taking it for granted
- Finding rest in summer time
- The difference between rest and recovery
- Rest as essential and a fundamental behavior
- Recovery as seasonal
- Seasons of hustle and stress
- Six Steps to Recovery:
- 1. Rest
- 2. Relaxation
- 3. Refuel
- 4. Review
- 5. Reward
- 6. Refocus
- (7. Resources)
- Bonus Rs: Resilience, Reserves, Reset, Resources, Roles, Re-centering, Reframe, Reminder
- Rest = prioritizing sleep, staying off of devices
- The Sleep Revolution book by Ariana Huffington
- How the snooze button on your alarm clock doesn’t serve you
- How to pursue rest without being rigid
- How being productive has become a default mode for many of
- Relaxing while not taxing our brains
- Shutting off our brains
- Getting out of production mode
- Focusing on the nutrients we put in our bodies
- Fueling our bodies for everyday life and busy seasons
- Book mention: Metibolical
- Two different thoughts on nutrition…food science is the study of food from the ground to your mouth, nutrition is the study of food from your mouth to your cells
- Taking a look back at what you’ve been through
- Focusing on what was great and what you could tweek next time
- The importance of looking forward in step 6. Refocus
- Setting intentions
- Not just waiting for the big moments to focus on Gillian’s recovery steps
- Growing slowly with the review process
- Micro habits
- Emotional, mental, and physical well being
- “Today is going to be a great day somehow”
- Wanting acknowledgement as a mom
- Teaching our children about gratitude
- Empowering moms by putting the power back in their hands
- Knowing your love language and the love languages of every member of your family
- What Gillian’s path to rest and recovery looked like for her
- Priorities and boundary setting
- Gillian’s video series: Priority Mom
- Auditing our time and how we spend it
- It’s easier to say “no” with clarity
- Family, health, and fun
- Taking pride in setting boundaries
- Numbing behaviors
- How to unpack guilt about not being productive 24/7 in a world that tells us we need to be
- Self worth does not need to be tied to our productivity
- Busy is not a badge of honor
- Book reference: Chasing Wonder by Ginger Stache
- Prioritizing being emotionally balanced over being busy
- School pressure starts at preschool
- Not overscheduling our kids, ourselves, or our family
- Reframing our downtime to release the guilt we feel when we slow down
- Investing in ourselves and our business with rest
- All of Gillian’s awesome Mom Camp Life offerings!
Follow us on Instagram! Like, comment, and share that you’re listening to the podcast!
Be sure to SUBSCRIBE so you never miss an episode!
Like the show? Leave me a review! Your feedback lets me know what you like, want, and need in your #momlife. I’m here to serve you, open up conversations, tackle topics, and encourage connection. Reviews help me do that! Thank you so much!
Homeschool Explained: Today’s episode is supported by Homeschool Explained, an online course I created to help parents find their confidence on their homeschool journey. I used to teach in-person workshops here on Maui to help families gather all the information and resources they need, answer all their questions, alleviate concerns, and help them get organized as they started homeschooling. Homeschool Explained is the online version of those workshops. I totally get it, starting any new journey can be overwhelming…especially when it comes to re-thinking how your kids are going to get an education—and that you’re going to be the teacher. But don’t worry. There is so much support and freedom in homeschool. It’s do-able. It’s fun. And it takes way less time than most people think. I put almost 15 years of homeschool experience and insights into this easy to follow, easy to use online course that answers common questions, helps you work through worries, and saves you time. No more internet search overload. This is all the info you need to get started homeschooling today from a trusted, experienced source.
I show you what modern homeschool days actually look like—all while covering major topics like curriculum, homeschool styles, subjects to teach, cost, state laws, socialization and so much more. This course takes the guess work out of where and how to begin and leaves you with solid support and resources. I want you to start your homeschool journey with confidence! Find out more at www.homeschoolexplained.com
Join Lori Beth on Patreon! Elevating Motherhood is coming to life over on Patreon! I’m super stoked to let you know I’ll be over there in our online moms group in Patreon connecting with you and other incredible mamas. It’s such a great space where we can have deep dive discussions about today’s topic and every other topic discussed here on the show.
I’ll also be hosting virtual classes once a month for moms. There are already multiple classes that are up and evergreen & available for you to watch anytime! Join me for August’s class that goes LIVE on Friday, August 20th. Maui mama and creator of the Let’s Feed Them Plants Patreon channel is going to be sharing her top secret recipes with us for her award winning vegan nacho cheese and vegan sour cream. They are so delicious! Sign up this month and be entered in the drawing! There are currently four other classes you can take at any time, too: cooking, numerology, creative writing, and fascia exercises with new classes being shared every month.
Go check out the details at www.patreon.com/elevatingmotherhood I’m super stoked to be an ad-free, off social media, no distraction space to connect with you and other moms! It’s already been so refreshing and life giving to be able to connect deeper with you all. I’m excited for you to join us!