No good decision is made from fear.
This is a lively conversation! It’s basically a couple of long-time homeschoolers getting together to talk homeschool and share a wealth of information and passion with each other and you.
Durenda Wilson is an interpreter of the heart. She understands what mamas think, feel, and worry about then shares insight with us in such a way that not only do we feel resourced but we feel equipped to move forward with confidence in our motherhood. We’ll be specifically talking about homeschool topics today but you’ll see that her ideas translate into motherhood in general. So whether you homeschool or not, there is something in this episode for you!
Durenda’s Bio: With more than twenty-five years of home education experience, Durenda Wilson is a trusted voice and resource at homeschooling conventions and on The Durenda Wilson Podcast. ### Zondervan is a HarperCollins Company and part of HarperCollins Christian Publishing. Zondervan is a world leading publisher and provider of Christian communications. The company’s products are sold worldwide and translated into nearly 200 languages. Zondervan offices are located in Grand Rapids, Mich. For additional information, please visit www.zondervan.com. Durenda and her husband, Darryl, have eight kids and six grandbabies (with more on the way). As an author and speaker, her greatest joy is helping moms discover God’s grace—and with it the courage to put their full trust in him, moving forward in faith and confidence.
In this episode, Durenda & I talk about:
- How homeschooling is one of the best decisions we have made for our families
- Her new book The 4 Hour Homeschool Day
- An overview of what homeschool looks like
- How Durenda puts into words what is already in the hearts of moms and parents
- Who came up with the title of her book…spoiler alert, it wasn’t Durenda
- Parental discernment
- Homeschooling at the preschool level
- Education revolves around life, not life around school
- Take your kids back and establish a solid family life
- Sibling relationships
- Being careful that we aren’t being lazy
- The differences between boys and girls and how that plays into our family dynamics, relationships, and homeschool
- Feeling resourced as moms
- How to opt out of cultural messaging for moms
- Establishing healthy habits
- Understanding that we will be parents of adults more than we are parents of young children
- Helping your kids understand why you’re doing what you’re doing
- Respectful parenting
- How long it takes to homeschool during the day
- Remembering that our kids are a blessing every single day
- What does it mean that our kids are a blessing (even when they are giving us grief)
- Realizing when we needs breaks as moms
- Recognizing when sometimes the problem is that we have a stinky attitude
- Kids are our ultimate teachers
- How valuing our kids creates a healthy homelife
- The exception not the rule
- Not giving up our hobbies and interests as moms
- Noting differences in our kids and how that influences how we approach homeschool
- Allowing our kids to conquer what they need to conquer…allowing the struggle so they can conquer
- How someone in the homeschool community wouldn’t endorse her book because Durenda mentions the difference between boys and girls
- Working with “what is” because it’s beautiful
- Letting our kids know they are valued
- When do you put on your teacher hat in homeschool and when do you put on your mom hat? Answer: we only wear our mom hats
- Nurturing our kids through watching and listening
- When our kids resist our teachings or instructions in homeschool
- No good decision is made from fear
- Identifying when we’re having a hard moment vs a character lesson
- Getting feedback from our kids
- Get curious and stay curious about your kids
- Durenda’s vote of confidence for all homeschool families
- Get Durenda’s book at: https://bookshop.org/shop/loribeth
Follow us on Instagram! Like, comment, and share that you’re listening to the podcast!
Be sure to SUBSCRIBE so you never miss an episode!
Like the show? Leave me a review! Your feedback lets me know what you like, want, and need in your #momlife. I’m here to serve you, open up conversations, tackle topics, and encourage connection. Reviews help me do that! Thank you so much!
Blossom & Root. Today’s episode of Elevating Motherhood is sponsored by Blossom & Root a nature-based, Charlotte Mason inspired homeschool curriculum company that has been gently guiding and supporting families for years! This thoughtful, age appropriate curriculum begins at the preschool level with options all the way up to 4th grade with more grade levels being released each year.
Blossom & Root is the homeschool curriculum my family uses and loves! The information and ideas are easy to follow, fun, and engaging. If you’re new to homeschool or looking for an inspired homeschool curriculum to help you lovingly teach and guide your children, I highly recommend Blossom & Root. Using this curriculum has brought so much connection and joy to our homeschool days—I love it! Blossom & Root has generously offered a discount for listeners of Elevating Motherhood: use the code LORIBETH10 at checkout for 10% OFF your order.
For more information about Blossom & Root, head over to www.elevatingmotherhood.com/homeschool
Homeschool Explained. Today’s episode is sponsored by Homeschool Explained, an online course I created to help parents find their confidence on their homeschool journey. I used to teach in-person workshops here on Maui to help families gather all the information and resources they need, answer all their questions, alleviate concerns, and help them get organized as they started homeschooling. Homeschool Explained is the online version of those workshops. I totally get it, starting any new journey can be overwhelming…especially when it comes to re-thinking how your kids are going to get an education—and that you’re going to be the teacher. But don’t worry. There is so much support and freedom in homeschool. It’s do-able. It’s fun. And it takes way less time than most people think. I put almost 15 years of homeschool experience and insights into this easy to follow, easy to use online course that answers common questions, helps you work through worries, and saves you time. No more internet search overload. This is all the info you need to get started homeschooling today from a trusted, experienced source.
I show you what modern homeschool days actually look like—all while covering major topics like curriculum, homeschool styles, subjects to teach, cost, state laws, socialization and so much more. This course takes the guess work out of where and how to begin and leaves you with solid support and resources. I want you to start your homeschool journey with confidence! Find out more at www.homeschoolexplained.com
Love the Show? Leave a review on iTunes!
Connect with Lori Beth on Instagram
Join Lori Beth on Patreon
Visit Today’s Sponsors: Blossom & Root + Homeschool Explained
More About Your Host: Lori Beth’s Blog