Fear, comparison, feeling inadequate, overwhelm, exhaustion…there are so many factors in our lives that bring on feelings of wanting to shut down. Especially as moms. Life is good and hard at the same time…but how do we live in that dichotomy? How can we embrace the hard parts of life and the highlight reel moments and learn from all of them? Author and speaker Lisa Whittle is here with us to share some ideas on this very subject.
Lisa believes that two truths can be true at the same time. Things work together, even if they don’t seem to be working out. Our lives and circumstances are not either or…
Lisa’s Bio: Lisa Whittle is the author of eight books, and her wit and bold bottom-line approach have made her a sought-after Bible teacher. She is also the creator of a companion video Bible study for Jesus over Everything. A pastor’s daughter and longtime ministry leader in issues relevant to the church, Lisa is the founder of Ministry Strong and the popular Jesus over Everything podcast, which debuted in the top 25 of Christian podcasts. Her love runs deep to see people pursue Jesus for life, grow deep roots of faith, and walk strong in the midst of a world that so often seems to have gone crazy. She and her family live in North Carolina. Her new book, The Hard Good, releases in early September.
In this episode Lisa & I talk about:
- Struggles of modern mamas
- Mindset shifts that could help mama hearts
- Fear in a mother’s heart
- How fear has shown up since the pandemic
- Feelings of inadequacy as moms
- Mom guilt
- How these private struggles manifest
- Looking at ourselves as moms when our children are leaving the nest
- Fear that our grown children will see how inadequate we are
- Parenting in different seasons
- Embracing change
- Doing things that bring us joy
- Finding time to write a book
- Purpose and usability of tasks, passions, and roles
- Philosophies on “finding your purpose” – it’s not chasing a gift we can’t unwrap
- Matthew 28
- Becoming usable and of service in our communities
- How chasing the ethereal idea of finding our purpose can make us stumble
- Getting caught up in things that don’t matter that puts a lot of pressure on moms
- The beauty of a new day and new mercies
- Lisa’s new book The Hard Good
- The road to spiritual transformation
- Taking the pressure off what showing up needs to be
- Clumsy, imperfect progress
- Working on being present in a world that wants us distracted
- “I am here” – commitment to presence
- My personal journey with “where we are” and being present
- The only constant is change
- Being present in hard relationship moments
- Deferring emotions
- Wisdom and being a grown up
- How we have abandoned discipline and discernment and started to confuse emotions and intuition
- Making time for self-reflection
- Being ourselves and showing up as us
- Apologizing and mopping up after we mess up
- How we are when we feel “spicy”
- When emotions become god-like
- Stifling what if questions… “What if I?” “What if they?” “What if God?”
- How what ifs keep us inactive and stagnant
- Moving from “What if” to “What is”
- The What If mug: https://beautifulandsimple.com/products/what-is-15-oz-mug
- Lisa’s podcast: Jesus Over Everything
- Lisa & Ali Worthington’s project: Called Creatives
Join Lori Beth on Patreon! Elevating Motherhood is coming to life over on Patreon! I’m super stoked to let you know I’ll be over there more than any other platform connecting with you and other incredible mamas. It’s such a great space where we can have deep dive discussions about today’s topic and every other topic discussed here on the show. I’ll also be hosting virtual classes once a month for moms. April & May’s classes are both live and waiting for you to join! April’s Class is Elevating Your Everyday Cooking with trained chef and holistic health coach Kris Dovbniak. May’s class is Decoding Your Birthday with intuitive numerologist Nadia Bernardy. Go check out the details at www.patreon.com/elevatingmotherhood I’m super stoked to be an ad-free, off social media, no distraction space to connect with other moms! It’s already been so refreshing and life giving to be able to connect deeper with you all. I’m excited for you to join us!
Follow us on Instagram! Like, comment, and share that you’re listening to the podcast!
Be sure to SUBSCRIBE so you never miss an episode!
Like the show? Leave me a review! Your feedback lets me know what you like, want, and need in your #momlife. I’m here to serve you, open up conversations, tackle topics, and encourage connection. Reviews help me do that! Thank you so much!
Blossom & Root: Today’s episode of Elevating Motherhood is sponsored by Blossom & Root a nature-based, Charlotte Mason inspired homeschool curriculum company that has been gently guiding and supporting families for years! This thoughtful, age appropriate curriculum begins at the preschool level with options all the way up to 4th grade with more grade levels being released each year.
Blossom & Root is the homeschool curriculum my family uses and loves! The information and ideas are easy to follow, fun, and engaging. If you’re new to homeschool or looking for an inspired homeschool curriculum to help you lovingly teach and guide your children, I highly recommend Blossom & Root. Using this curriculum has brought so much connection and joy to our homeschool days—I love it! Blossom & Root has generously offered a discount for listeners of Elevating Motherhood: use the code LORIBETH10 at checkout for 10% off your order.
For more information about Blossom & Root, head over to www.elevatingmotherhood.com/homeschool
Homeschool Explained: Today’s episode is sponsored by Homeschool Explained, an online course I created to help parents find their confidence on their homeschool journey. I used to teach in-person workshops here on Maui to help families gather all the information and resources they need, answer all their questions, alleviate concerns, and help them get organized as they started homeschooling. Homeschool Explained is the online version of those workshops. I totally get it, starting any new journey can be overwhelming…especially when it comes to re-thinking how your kids are going to get an education—and that you’re going to be the teacher. But don’t worry. There is so much support and freedom in homeschool. It’s do-able. It’s fun. And it takes way less time than most people think. I put almost 15 years of homeschool experience and insights into this easy to follow, easy to use online course that answers common questions, helps you work through worries, and saves you time. No more internet search overload. This is all the info you need to get started homeschooling today from a trusted, experienced source.
I show you what modern homeschool days actually look like—all while covering major topics like curriculum, homeschool styles, subjects to teach, cost, state laws, socialization and so much more. This course takes the guess work out of where and how to begin and leaves you with solid support and resources. I want you to start your homeschool journey with confidence! Find out more at www.homeschoolexplained.com
Love the Show? Leave a review on iTunes!
Connect with Lori Beth on Instagram
Join Lori Beth on Patreon
Visit Today’s Sponsors: Blossom & Root + Homeschool Explained
More About Your Host: Lori Beth’s Blog