The modern homestead movement is 100% a state of mind. It’s the strive for self-sufficiency.
My friend Kody Hanner wrote a homestead curriculum that my family adores. It’s being used by homeschoolers, schools, and I know some adults who could benefit from the huge amount of information in her homestead curriculum. Kody joins us today to talk about her curriculum, how it came to be, the modern homestead movement, life-long learning, parenting, and so much more.
Kody has generously offered a discount code for listeners of Elevating Motherhood. Use the code LORIBETH for 10% off your Homestead Education purchase.
Kody’s Bio: Kody is a wife of a veteran, mother of 6, homesteader, and homeschooler, that has devoted her life to agriculture and embracing rural living. She created and authored the Homestead Education series of homeschool curricula that includes homestead science. She is the host of The Homestead Education Podcast, which is rapidly growing in popularity where she chats candidly about homesteading, homeschooling, and personal growth.
In This Episode, Kody and I Talk About:
- What qualifies as homesteading
- How she got started as a homesteader
- Her homestead background
- Homestead flexing
- How she stared writing a curriculum
- The need for a homeschool homestead curriculum
- The writing process
- How long it took her to write the curriculum
- You don’t need to know everything, you need to know how to find good information
- The modern homestead movement
- Reach out to your county’s extension office for resources
- Production over consumption
- Slowing down
- Taking responsibility for your life
- Having entrepreneurial values
- People like to quiz homeschoolers randomly
- Adding depth to science experiments
- Who the curriculum is for
- Complaints she has received about the curriculum
- Writing to a broad audience
- Healing disconnect
- Integrating topics into your homeschool
- The goal of her curriculum
- Learning self sufficiency as a family
- Learning life skills as a family
- Building ownership and quality of character
- Cranking out factory kids isn’t working anymore
- John Taylor Gatto’s books about education
- Entrepreneur values vs. an industrial model
- The regurgitation of information
- The homestead movement
- The homeschool movement
- The home movement
- Bringing family back together movement</li
- Creating over consuming
- Education reform
- The mistake that is compulsory preschool
- The opportunity of self-sufficiency
- Teaching our kids to be participants in their own lives rather than consumers
- Building confidence
Be sure to SUBSCRIBE so you never miss an episode!
Like the show? Leave me a review! Your feedback lets me know what you like, want, and need in your #momlife. I’m here to serve you, open up conversations, tackle topics, and encourage connection. Reviews help me do that! Thank you so much!
Homeschool Explained. Today’s episode is sponsored by Homeschool Explained, an online course I created to help parents find their confidence as they begin their homeschool journey. This course is designed to save you time; no more maddening online searches for how to start homeschooling—this is me holding your hand and walking you through homeschool 101 in just under 3 hours. That’s it. 3 hours of video tutorial + a downloadable PDF.
I used to teach in-person workshops when I lived on Maui to help families gather all the information and resources they needed, answer all their questions, alleviate concerns, and help them get organized as they started homeschooling. Homeschool Explained is the online version of those workshops. I totally get it, starting any new journey can be really overwhelming…especially when it comes to re-thinking how your kids are going to get an education—and that you’re going to be the teacher. But don’t worry. There is so much support and freedom in homeschooling. It’s do-able. It’s fun. And it takes way less time than most people think. I put over 15 years of homeschool experience and insights into this easy to follow, easy to use online course that answers common questions, helps you work through worries, and saves you time. No more internet search overload. This is all the info you need to get started homeschooling today from a trusted, experienced source.
I show you what modern homeschool days actually look like—all while covering major topics like curriculum, homeschool styles, subjects to teach, cost, state laws, socialization and so much more. This course takes the guess work out of where and how to begin and leaves you with solid support and resources from day one. I would be honored to help you to start your homeschool journey with confidence! Find out more at www.homeschoolexplained.com
Sneak Peek of The Focus Retreat…more details coming soon! www.thefocusretreat.com
Love the Show? Leave a review on iTunes!
Connect with Lori Beth on Instagram: @loribethauldridge and @elevatingmotherhood
Visit Today’s Sponsor: Homeschool Explained
More About Your Host: Lori Beth’s Blog