* Trigger Warning * There is mention of loss and death in this episode—loss of a child, loss of a friend, and loss of parents.
Grief has been a roommate for Emily Humphries for a while now…and she’s graciously offered to share her story with us as a means of supporting other mamas who are also experiencing seasons of grief in their life. We can learn so much through simply listening to someone else’s story and hearing examples of all the how, when, why, who, what moments that come along with grief. Emily shares her story of how she shows up for herself and her family, especially her children after the loss of friends and family.
Emily is the host of The Simply Stories Podcast—and I love that she brings the power of story from her who over to Elevating Motherhood. Emily is a woman who loves Jesus, her family, words, and coffee (all though things don’t honestly always run in that order.) Emily loves sharing about the activity of God in her life and creating space for others to gather ’round the table and share their stories too.
In This Episode, We Talk About:
- Her experiences with tragedy & loss
- Talking with kids about grief
- Comfort (offering & receiving)
- The role faith plays in her journey
- The power of listening to our children process grief
- The importance of being clear with children when talking about death
- Paying attention to signs
- When our kids bring up death
- Dealing with the hard questions
- Kids at funerals/celebrations of life
- How to involve children in the process
- Making space for our children within our process
- The ministry of presence
- That there’s strength in our honesty and vulnerability
- The power of pausing and apologizing to our kids as needed
- Time blocking
- Dealing with our emotions at appropriate times
- Tension holds things together (think rubber band)
- Making time for our needs as the mom
- Cultural messages about death
- Ideas for how to get through in tough moments
- Leaning into community
Listen to my conversation with Emily on The Simply Stories Podcast.
Be sure to SUBSCRIBE so you never miss an episode!
Like the show? Leave me a review! Your feedback lets me know what you like, want, and need in your #momlife. I’m here to serve you, open up conversations, tackle topics, and encourage connection. Reviews help me do that! Thank you so much!
MUTU System. Thanks to MUTU System for supporting today’s episode of Elevating Motherhood. MUTU is a medically recommended, online exercise program that is designed to support mothers postpartum. And it’s not just for moms who have new babies. I started using MUTU 2.5 years after my third baby was born. My hip issues and unresolved diastasis recti were continuing to get in the way of my exercise attempts and everyday comfort level. I decided to do something about it and MUTU was the support I was looking for. I started to experience relief after just a week of using the program. I highly recommend it as a way to boost your strength and confidence! It’s gentle, do-able, effective—and you can use it at home. Buy it once and it’s yours for life. And the online community is awesome! There’s more information over at www.elevatingmotherhood.com/mutu And you can hear more from the founder and CEO Wendy Powell in Episode 41.
Branch Basics. Thanks to Branch Basics for supporting today’s episode of Elevating Motherhood! Branch Basics is an educational company that offers non-toxic, simple to use cleaning solutions for your home—using one powerful, plant & mineral based cleaning concentrate. You can literally use their one concentrate to clean everything…from bathrooms & windows to floors & laundry. Simply dilute their safe, effective cleaner into their refillable bottles. The instructions are right on the label. Branch Basics has been an amazing addition to our home. I’m always looking for ways to reduce my family’s toxic burden & Branch Basics fits the bill. Plus their goals align with mine…to make cleaning sustainable, affordable, and simple. Head over to elevatingmotherhood.com/branchbasics for my personal review of their products.
Love the Show? Leave a review on iTunes!
Connect with Lori Beth on Instagram: @loribethauldridge and @elevatingmotherhood
Visit Today’s Sponsors: MUTU System + Branch Basics
More About Your Host: Lori Beth’s Blog